“I have but one candle of life to burn, and I would rather burn it out in a land filled with darkness than in a land flooded with light.”
So much of the world is filled with darkness. Of course, the greatest darkness in the world can be found in the 10/40 Window.
One of the largest countries, in fact, the largest country in the 10/40 Window is the country of China. And, the numbers are a bit staggering!
The Country of China:
- There are just under 1.4 billion people in the country of China.
- There are 160 cities in the country of China with over one million people.
- There are 542 distinct people groups in the country of China. Of these 444 of them (82 percent) are considered “Unreached” People Groups. And, in many cases, “Unengaged People Groups,” which simply means nobody is trying to reach them.
List of the Top 22 Unreached People Groups in China:
- Han Chinese Xiang, 38 million people, 2.0 % Christian
- Han Chinese Hakka, 36 million people, 2.0% Christian
- Uyghur, 13 million people, 0.01% Christian
- Hui, 13 million people, 0.01% Christian
- Tujia, 9.4 million people, 1% Christian
- Mongol, 7.5 million people, 0.4% Christian
- Han Chinese Dan, 4.8 million people, 0.3% Christian
- Bouyei, 2.7 million people, 0.2% Christian
- Zhuang Yongbei, 2.1 million people, 0.3% Christian
- Zhuang Yongnan, 2.1 million people, 0.1% Christian
- Hmu Northern, 2 million people, 0.02% Christian
- Kazakh, 1.8 million people, Christian 0.1% Christian
- Zhuang Zoujiang, 1.7 million people, 0.1 % Christian
- Zhuang Liujiang, 1.7 million people, 0.9 % Christian
- Zhuang Guibei, 1.6 million people, 1.2 % Christian
- Khampa Tibetan, 1.5 million people, 0.5% Christian
- Pingdi, 1.4 million people, 0.10 % Christian
- Ghao Xong Western, 1.4 million people, 0.6% Christian
- Nosu Shengzha, 1.3 million people, 2.0 % Christian
- Lu Mien, 1.3 million people, 0.7 % Christian
- She, 1.1 million people, 0.3% Christian
- Tibetan Central, 920,000 people, 0.01 % Christian
The above people groups represent over 150 million people with about one percent of these professing to be “Christian.” Keep in mind that 77 percent of Americans profess to be “Christian.”
If these numbers are accurate, that would mean less than 2 million of those 150 million people profess to be a “Christian.” And, more than likely, not more than 33-50 percent of those would actually be saved!
Prayerfully ponder those numbers for a moment!
As one author noted,“Many of the profiled People Groups have NO KNOWN BELIEVERS in their midst. Some could be considered COMPLETELY UNEVANGELIZED–that is 100% of the population has NEVER YET HEARD ANYTHING OF THE GOSPEL AND IS UNAWARE OF THE PERSON OF JESUS CHRIST. CHINA’S MORE THAN 400 UNREACHED PEOPLE GROUPS ARE IN DESPERATE NEED!”
So, the question is simple: What are we doing about this?
“It will not do to say that you have no special call to go to China. With these facts before you and with the command of the Lord Jesus to go and preach the gospel to every creature, you need rather to ascertain whether you have a special call to stay at home.”
– Hudson Taylor